I have written for publications including The Sunday Times of London and The New Statesman. I have also written for The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal and more recently for Presbyterian News Service.
My work history includes:
- Executive producer of newly created entertainment department at Worldwide Television News (WTN), now Associated Press Television (APTV), an international news agency based in London that provides television footage to broadcast and cable clients in dozens of countries all over the world.
Personally assisted all clients and programs, including Entertainment Tonight and “E!” the 24-hour entertainment cable channel. Interviewed and worked with major celebrities as well as with their publicity and public relations representatives.
- Supervised assistants and freelance journalists in the gathering of celebrity interviews and entertainment news in Europe and the U.S. Supervised editing of all scripts and videotape.
Developed and launched separate European entertainment news service in March, 1990. Also wrote, developed and produced pilot for European entertainment program, Entertainment Now!
- Copy editor at WTN. Also worked as satellite editor and Eurovision editor.
- Scriptwriter for WTN’s satellite news feeds. Scriptwriter and segment producer for the WTN programs Roving Report and Earthfile, which were regularly distributed to broadcast and cable clients in countries around the world.
- Worked as assignment editor at ABC London from 1981-83. Correspondent for ABC Radio News. Reported every day of the ninety-day Falklands War in 1982. Was the first radio reporter to announce the Argentine surrender. Also covered the Pope’s visit to Britain for ABC.
- Reported extensively on the Middle East, in particular on the Israel-Lebanon War in 1982 for ABC as well as on the Iran-Iraq War in 1984 for ABC News and for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).
- Reported from Lebanon in 1983 for Independent Radio News (IRN) in London, as well as for Voice of America.
- Reported from Syria in 1984, for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) and the magazine Middle East International.
- Researcher for six-hour CBC radio documentary (also broadcast on the BBC) on the life of George Orwell. Arranged and conducted interviews with more than 50 individuals who knew Orwell personally. Credited as researcher on the book Remembering Orwell (1985, Penguin).
- Reported on AIDS in Africa from Rwanda for the CBC, the BBC World Service and ABC Australia, among others.
- Interviewed Queen Noor of Jordan for the U.S. and UK editions of Cosmopolitan magazine. Article subsequently reprinted in a number of countries, from Israel to Brazil.
- Wrote and produced radio documentaries for the CBC, the BBC World Service and National Public Radio on a wide range of subjects and personalities, including a special on Elvis Presley.
- Worked as production assistant on the HBO Production Guilt or Innocence: The Trial of James Earl Ray, filmed in Memphis in 1993.
- Taught as a journalism instructor at Memphis State University, now the University of Memphis.